Kirsten's being deployed to Iraq for 179 days. Read what her family & friends are doing, each day, to support her until she gets home!

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Different Culture




I obviously knew coming here that this would be an entirely different culture. As most of you know, I love different cultures and ethnic foods and what not, but some things I dont think I'll ever quite grasp. Not uncommon in most of europe and apparently VERY common here is smoking. Although I respect their decision to smoke and that it may be part of their culture, I don't fully grasp the lure behind smoking. Which brings me to my point. I was driving over to a chili cook off (run by the Americans) when I passed an Iraqi running. My first thought was "huh, eventhough they play alot of soccer, they still like to run to keep in shape. Good on you buddy!!" Then, as I looked in my rearview mirrow one last time I laughed out loud at what I saw. The kid was literally smoking a cigarette and running at the same time. Now THAT is dedication!!! And partcially coordination to run like that!


Anyhow, here are two pictures of the Chili Cook Off. With the help of some local Iraqi's and a couple of lambs we had some pretty awesome chili!

No comments:

Post a Comment