Kirsten's being deployed to Iraq for 179 days. Read what her family & friends are doing, each day, to support her until she gets home!

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

It's all about me -- well, not really...

First and foremost, I want to thank Kirsten and her fellow soldiers for the sacrifices they make for our country each and every day. In our hearts, we are all very appreciative. And if we make light of the situation, know that making jokes is only to help us cope with how much we worry about you.

When I heard about the mini-sacrifices that family and friends were going to make each day in honor of Kirsten's deployment, I was immediately hooked and wanted to participate. My biggest struggle was deciding what to do. Marion gave up margaritas, Randy is doing an increasing number of push-ups each day.... What will it be for me?

I toyed with the idea of not saying bad words, but then I realized that would be too damn easy. I mean, I'm a mom, I'm pretty good at that anyway, just need to be better around adults.

Next I thought about giving up my wine, but then after a few particular moments over the winter holidays, I realized that might turn into child abuse charges, so I passed that over.

I finally realized that a major gift that our freedoms award us, is to have such a grand lifestyle, that we clutter it up running a thousand different directions trying to do too many things, many of which aren't that important anyway.

So, I have decided to "honor" Kirsten (and her fellow soldiers) by taking 30 minutes each day to slow down and really appreciate the day that has been given to me. So far, I have appreciated quiet time to:

1) play games with my children - uninterrupted and relaxed, not rushing to finish to get back to what I was doing

2) sit and read a book for pleasure during the middle of the day - instead of 3 pages as I collapse in bed at the end of the day

3) I've (re)started doing Pilates

4) reconnected with an out-of-town friend that I don't talk to often enough

5) spend time writing on my book

Thanks Kirsten - and Happy Belated Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment