Kirsten's being deployed to Iraq for 179 days. Read what her family & friends are doing, each day, to support her until she gets home!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Songs that Inspire

I told Kirsten to remember the words of Rodney Atkins (it's a country song)

If you're going through hell
Keep on going, don't slow down
If you're scared, don't show it
You might get out
Before the devil even knows you're there.

This was her response:

Personally Im partial to the White Snake "Here I go again on my own" song. (this was our theme song in High School - we had to listen to it before every softball game)

Here's what she said when I asked if it was difficult as she had imagined:

It's actually not hard at all. I like feeling operational. Like I'm making a difference. And I think for the first time I'm making a difference as a pilot in the Air Force AND as a woman. Even if don't fly with a single Iraqi woman, just having the men see a female pilot, maybe I'll change the mind or convince ONE male that women can be considered equal in many ways, and that he'll grow up and teach his children that. He can say "I learned how to fly from a female instructor pilot" and maybe his little girls will be able to dream about flying one day as well. And maybe that same Iraqi student turns out to be one of the leaders in the Iraqi Air Force and because of what we've done here, building a realtionship with the Iraqi's he'll teach his young soldiers that the American's are a friendly force, that he had a great experience flying with them in pilot training. And who knows, maybe he will be that Iraqi general who takes the big step and allows women in the Air force. Maybe it wont' happen in our generation, maybe it won't in the next, but I think because of what we're doing here, that it will have a profound effect in the long run. So to answer your question, no it's not hard at all. (give me 4 months of flying 2 times a day every day for 6 days a week and maybe I'll be singing a different tune.)

Love you!
Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment